Nitro Pro 11 Issues with Windows 10

nickconder

Suggestion

Hey All,

I work for a small MSP IT company it Kentucky. So keep in mind I've tried the general basic troubleshooting, and further. In a nutshell, Windows 10 has a nasty habit of resetting default applications back to the Microsoft Apps (Edge, Groove Music, ETC). I've searched the internet and it seems to be a common issue. Microsoft support forums have been unhelpful.  So here I am with the application vendor. 

Our Issue:

Every-time we default Nitro Pro 11 as the default viewer for PDF's it will inevitability revert back to Edge. 

Troubleshooting:

-Selected the Always open this file with this program

-Changed all PDF file default associations 

-Registry edits for file associations 

-Uninstalling and reinstalling Nitro

-Updating to Windows 10 v 1903

-Installed all software/device/firmware updates

-Disabling Windows 10 Applications using powershell (Which is a funny story, Edge somehow came back after a week)

-Did a Windows 10 Reset (reinstall of windows while keeping files)

-All programs had to be reinstalled and appdata was cleared

-There are probably more, but I cannot remember off the top of my head, without deep diving back into old tickets.

Further Info:

We've reviewed the event viewer, it is not helpful.  Just says that Windows has revert the application.  We have RMM tools on this system and we can provide any documentation to help diagnose. The hard sell to the end-user to purchase the newest version of Nitro is difficult. This is because he has Nitro Pro 11 installed on many Windows 10 systems with no issues.  

System Info:

Dell Optiplex 3060 (BIOS 1.4.2)

Window 10 Pro Version 10.0.18362  (1903)

Intel i-5-8500, 8GB RAM

Nitro Pro 11 (Version 11.0.8.469)

6 replies to this suggestion

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @nickconder,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

In order for me to further assist you with your concern, could you please provide the following?:
-The serial number of the Nitro Pro. To send it via private message, hover your mouse on top of my name 'AllainU' and select 'Message'. 
-Screenshot of Nitro Pro build under 'About Nitro Pro'.

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you. 

4 hours ago, RyanW said:

I had success deploying a group policy for Windows 10 default associations for Nitro 11:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsinternals/2017/10/25/windows-10-how-to-configure-file-associations-for-it-pros/

@RyanW

We considered this, but the reverting happens during a OS session.  Applying a default file association via GPO would require our user to log out and back in or a gpupdate command to fix the issue. (which is hard to ask an end-user)

I briefly skimmed your link.  I will follow-up if we have any success after reviewing it fully.

Thanks,

-Nick

Edited by nickconder

On 11/20/2019 at 3:13 PM, AllainU said:

Hello @nickconder,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

In order for me to further assist you with your concern, could you please provide the following?:
-The serial number of the Nitro Pro. To send it via private message, hover your mouse on top of my name 'AllainU' and select 'Message'. 
-Screenshot of Nitro Pro build under 'About Nitro Pro'.

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you. 

@AllainU 

I see you have helped many people, and you obliviously have good intentions.  I'm not releasing our customers licensing info, privately or publicly.

Thanks,

-Nick 

Sorry it took so long to reply. I have another issue and saw I never followed-up on this. The issue ended up being OS corruption.  The system had to be wiped, and the OS re-installed.