Washed out images

Neil Dawe

When I convert RGB images to CMYK or grayscale, the latter two appear washed out and they print that way. An earlier version of Nitro Pro did not wash out the images when their colorspace was converted.

How can I make those conversions and keep the quality of the images?

I am using version 13.2.6.26

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Neil Dawe,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

When converting any document to PDF, the file is optimized in the process. This can be changed depending on what process or workflow is used to create the PDF. 

To further assist you, please refer to below step-by-step guide for each conversion method.

a. Print Settings: Can be found under Devices and Printers, right-click the Nitro PDF Creator and choose Printing Preferences. Change the Conversion Quality or choose Custom and specify your own settings. Note most programs can go into the Printer Properties through the its print dialogue.

b. Create PDF From: Click Settings on the top right and choose the appropriate conversion quality.

c. Right clicking (Context) / Drag-and-drop conversion: These settings are dictated by the Settings under Home > PDF > From File... option in Nitro Pro

d. Office Add-ins: Click the Nitro Pro ribbon in the Office program and choose Advanced. In the window that pops up, click the Optimization tab and choose the appropriate conversion quality.

If above options did not help, we highly recommend updating your build to Nitro Pro 13.15 using below direct installers:

x32 http://install.nitropdf.com/professional_13151282/en/retail/nitro_pro13_ba_x86.msi 
x64 http://install.nitropdf.com/professional_13151282/en/retail/nitro_pro13_ba_x64.msi

If you are not sure which to pick, this will help:  https://kb.gonitro.com/knowledgebase#/search/64/000003790

Thank you for choosing Nitro and I hope this helps!

Unfortunately, the response does not help. I did update my build to Nitro Pro 13.15 and got the same results. Perhaps I should have given more details:

I am producing a high quality PDF file from a desktop publishing program, Scribus, and ready it for professional printing. I convert all the RGB images in the PDF to CMYK images. However, some of those images I need as grayscale. So I use the edit function of NitroPro to convert some of the CMYK images in the document to grayscale. These images all become washed out over all when converted rather than become the sharp grayscale images they should be. This did not happen with an earlier version of Nitro Pro I had.

I would have inserted an example image so you can see what I mean; however, I don't have a URL I can upload the image to. Curious to know why you don't simply let us upload an image from a file on our computers.

Thanks for any other help you can offer.