Nitro Pro 12 SLOW to open suddenly

amessina

Beginning yesterday, Nitro is VERY slow to open. It does not seem to be related to how it is opened (whether organically or as a result of a PDF print), but it lags sometimes for several minutes before it will open. Very frustrating. Was working fine up until yesterday. We did Windows updates the night before the problem started if that helps. Perhaps a compatibility issue with a new Windows Update?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @amessina,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

In order to further assist you, could you please provide a screenshot of your 'About Nitro Pro' window under Help tab?

To send it via private message, hover your mouse on top of my name 'AllainU' and select 'Message'.

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you.  

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @amessina,

Thank you for your private message.

To further assist you, let us try some troubleshooting by referring to these steps:

1. Clear the content of the directory under C:\users\your_username\Appdata\local\temp. For whatever reason, not all temp files automatically remove themselves and is NOT usually caused by Nitro Pro files.

2. Download and run our Clean Up utility to uninstall your Nitro Pro: http://install.nitropdf.com/professional_132626/install-cleanup/install-cleanup.zip 

NOTE: This clean-up tool will erase any existing signature files within Nitro so please save them to another location before using the clean-up tool in order to keep them. Please see this link for backing up custom stamps/signatures: https://kb.gonitro.com/knowledgebase#/search/stamps/000004307 

3. Please clear all your downloads folder or delete all downloaded Nitro installers. This step is important because we noticed that if you are saving all the installers and you download them in the same folder (like the downloads folder), the EXE can pick up any MSI installer in that folder and you may pick-up one of the older builds instead of the newly downloaded package.

4. Download and install Nitro Pro 12.16 using below offline installers:

x32 http://install.nitropdf.com/professional_12163574/en/retail/nitro_pro12_ba_x86.msi 
x64 http://install.nitropdf.com/professional_12163574/en/retail/nitro_pro12_ba_x64.msi

If you are not sure which to pick, this will help: https://kb.gonitro.com/knowledgebase#/search/64/000003790 

5. After installation, you can activate by opening Nitro Pro, clicking on the Help tab > About Nitro Pro > Activate and entering your serial number.

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you. 

Edited by AllainU

Unfortunately, this did not work. And when I restarted after the fresh install I got a new error message. Nitro is even more buggy now that it was before. Not sure I can devote much more time to fixing it. I will private message you the error I am now getting and a new screenshot of the Nitro About page. I ran through the 5 steps you provided in full, twice. Same result.

A bit more information if it's helpful. Nitro Pro 13 trial works flawlessly on my system (just tried it out). Nitro Reader 5, flawlessly as well (uninstalled Nitro Pro 13 and currently using this until the problem is resolved). So this is definitely something to do with Nitro Pro 12.

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @amessina,

Thank you for the screenshots you have sent me via private message.

To further assist you, kindly click on Start > type 'Services.msc' In the box, scroll down to Nalpeiron Licensing Service > Right-click > Properties. Set it to 'Automatic' and click Start. (If it will not start and you see an error 1717/1722, scroll down to Windows Event Log in the 'Services' dialogue box > Right-click > Properties. Set it to 'Automatic' and click Start, then try starting the Nalpeiron Service). Once the service has started try to run Nitro.

Thank you for choosing Nitro and I hope this helps!

Did not make a difference. Nalpeiron Licensing Services were already set to Automatic and running. I even stopped the service and restarted it. No change. Rebooted even. No change.

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @amessina,

Thank you for this information and for your patience.

To further troubleshoot this slowness issue, kindly run Nitro Pro 12 with Compatibility mode by referring to these steps:
1. Right-click Nitro Pro desktop shortcut or the NitroPDF.exe (by default is installed in C:\Program Files\Nitro\Pro X) then select Properties
2. Nitro Pro Properties window will open, click on Compatibility tab
3. Under Compatibility Mode, tick the box for 'Run this program in compatibility mode for', click the drop-down arrow and select Windows 7 if you're using Windows 10 (Choose Windows XP if you're using Windows 7)

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @amessina,

Thank you for your patience.

To further assist you with your concern, I created a support ticket on your behalf.

I will wait for your response through the support case.

Cheers!

• 6 months later...
ptitus@novato.org

I am interested in the solution to this.  We purchased version 12 for our 50 users at the end of 2018 to upgrade from version 10.  We only installed less than half to various causes.  Hard to get the rest moved up with slow opening issue.  Some users of 12 have changed to Acrobat Pro due to frustrations with slowness.  Unfortunately, they are influential in our company and will likely lead to more users wanting to switch.  

We had several users on Nitro Pro version 12.14.0.558 due to issues in 12.16.3.574  with a Kyocera copier.  If it is possible that 12.16.3.574  fixed this slow opening issue we could use that version and find a workaround for the Kyocera issue.  Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Philip_Novato,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

As per Release Notes for Nitro Pro 12.16 in this page https://www.gonitro.com/nps/product-details/release-notes, it does not address the slow opening issue.

If issue just started to happen, any idea if it was after installing any major Windows Updates or custom fonts on the systems?

ptitus@novato.org

Thanks for the quick response!  I looked at several release notes too, to try to find this issue.  Unfortunately, our users who have had this issue waited months to let us know about it.  

I have personally had it on my computer for many months.  I have used my computer for testing in Acrobat Pro and 2 different versions of Nitro Pro so I had wrongly attributed my delays to Acrobat hampering things.  I tried deleting a font dat file I learned of in a Nitro article in \AppData\Roaming\Nitro\Pro\12.  That did not seem to fix this.

As an example, earlier today I already had Nitro Pro open.  Someone sent me a small PDF to look at and it took 10 seconds to open in Nitro, even though Nitro already had another PDF open.  This makes it hard to isolate in testing.  I did some testing yesterday and used a stopwatch to time opening in several different scenarios (over VPN, PDF in Outlook, PDF on Windows Desktop, PDF in OneDrive, etc.) and it opened quick enough (~3-5 seconds) with average size PDFs.

• I agree 1

On 5/27/2020 at 2:25 PM, Philip_Novato said:

I am interested in the solution to this.  We purchased version 12 for our 50 users at the end of 2018 to upgrade from version 10.  We only installed less than half to various causes.  Hard to get the rest moved up with slow opening issue.  Some users of 12 have changed to Acrobat Pro due to frustrations with slowness.  Unfortunately, they are influential in our company and will likely lead to more users wanting to switch.  

We had several users on Nitro Pro version 12.14.0.558 due to issues in 12.16.3.574  with a Kyocera copier.  If it is possible that 12.16.3.574  fixed this slow opening issue we could use that version and find a workaround for the Kyocera issue.  Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Hi Philip,

Our problem turned out to be our Virus software flagging a critical component of Nitro which is "Nalpeiron Licensing Services". This file loads at startup and tells Nitro that you have a licensed copy of the software during launch. Since our Virus software was flagging it, it would scrutinize this file every time Nitro was launched, slowing the load WAY down. It was very frustrating. We were able to tell our Virus software to ignore the file and voila! It opened swiftly again. Go to your running services (workstation) and you should see Nalpeiron Licensing Services running. Disable your workstation virus software and see if Nitro opens at normal speed. If so, have your IT department look to see if your virus software has flagged that file or service. Have them green light (ignore) the file, restart the virus software, and I bet it solves your problem. The latency in loading may also be your problem with your Kyocera copier integration. 

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
ptitus@novato.org
On 5/28/2020 at 12:57 PM, amessina said:

Hi Philip,

Our problem turned out to be our Virus software flagging a critical component of Nitro which is "Nalpeiron Licensing Services". This file loads at startup and tells Nitro that you have a licensed copy of the software during launch. Since our Virus software was flagging it, it would scrutinize this file every time Nitro was launched, slowing the load WAY down. It was very frustrating. We were able to tell our Virus software to ignore the file and voila! It opened swiftly again. Go to your running services (workstation) and you should see Nalpeiron Licensing Services running. Disable your workstation virus software and see if Nitro opens at normal speed. If so, have your IT department look to see if your virus software has flagged that file or service. Have them green light (ignore) the file, restart the virus software, and I bet it solves your problem. The latency in loading may also be your problem with your Kyocera copier integration. 

Good luck!

This got put on the back burner due to many other issues.  Having our anti-virus software allow this Nalpeiron service on related systems has fixed the delayed opening issue.  Thanks for the idea!

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hi @amessina,

Please be informed this issue with Kyocera printers has been fixed upon the release of Nitro Pro 13.6.0.108 as per Release Notes:
https://www.gonitro.com/nps/product-details/release-notes 

If you prefer staying with your Nitro Pro 12, you need to revert to Nitro Pro 12.14 where this issue is not present so please uninstall 12.16, reboot your machine and reinstall using below direct installers:

x32 http://install.nitropdf.com/professional_12140558/en/retail/nitro_pro12_ba_x86.msi 
x64 http://install.nitropdf.com/professional_12140558/en/retail/nitro_pro12_ba_x64.msi

If you are not sure which to pick, this will help: https://kb.gonitro.com/knowledgebase#/search/64/000003790 

After installation, you can activate by opening Nitro Pro, clicking on the Help tab > About Nitro Pro > Activate by entering your serial number

However if you are interested in upgrading your license to Nitro Pro 13 with a discounted rate, kindly access our Upgrade Portal and enter your Nitro Pro 12 serial number: https://www.gonitro.com/pro/upgrade 

You should then receive an email confirmation with a new serial number to activate Nitro Pro 13 and to know more about some enhancements and fixes with Nitro Pro 13, please visit our Release Notes page  https://www.gonitro.com/nps/product-details/release-notes

In addition to that and many other feature improvements, version 13 also contains some important security vulnerabilities fixes that you might want to consider when deciding whether to upgrade to it or not. You can find out more about these fixes here:  https://www.gonitro.com/nps/security/updates

Thank you for choosing Nitro and I hope this helps.