Disabling "auto open" when downloading pdfs from web

Scott Nass

Recently had to reinstall Nitro Pro (Version 12.16.3.574) and now every time I right-click and "Save As," the document also opens in Nitro Pro.  I'm a Chrome user, most recent update.

How do I deactivate this "auto open" feature?

Edited by Scott Nass

• Official Nitronaut
Reymund Oyong

Hi @Scott Nass,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

From what I understand, you are downloading a PDF using Google Chrome and the workflow is either 'Save As' or 'Save link As'. 
I believe your Chrome is enabled to Always open with system viewer. When this is enabled, Chrome will automatically use the default application assigned to the file you download. 

You can see this option when you download a file. As an example, download a PDF file using your Chrome browser. Google Chrome places a small notification at the bottom of the browser and when you click on it, you will see an option to deselect the 'Always open with system viewer'. See screenshot below:

image.png.d026f184fc7956bc2d564ef9b992b82c.png

If this notification does not show up when you download a file, you can disable this in the Google Chrome settings.
These are the steps I did on my Google Chrome browser:

To stop Chrome automatically opening PDF after downloading:

1. Open Chrome settings.
2. Scroll to the bottom and click Advanced.
3. Scroll to the Downloads tab and click Clear next to Open certain file types automatically after downloading.

After clearing that, you will start to see the notification at the bottom of the Google Chrome when downloading a file. And, this should not automatically launch the default application to open the downloaded file.

Kind regards,

• 4 months later...