Nitro crashes when opening pdf

Norm Green

Nitro pro 13.16.2.300 crashes every time when I attempt to open a certain pdf, which is the Canadian passport application form. Crashes hard on open.

Is there an upgrade or a patch for this bug?

• Official Nitronaut

Hello @Norm Green

So that we can troubleshoot the problem, please provide me with the following:

- The file you are opening
- The exact steps you are taking
- A screen shot of what you are seeing or any error message you are receiving

I look forward to your response.

Hello Leslie,

The pdf file I'm opening and a screen shot of the crash are located here.

The exact steps I'm taking are "double click the pdf to attempt to open it in nitro". Then it crashes. I have selected "Send Info to Nitro" from the crash screen multiple times so you should have the debugging info on your server.

Norm Green

• Official Nitronaut

Hello @Norm Green

This form was created using a proprietary system owned by Adobe. Forms such as these (XFA forms) are documents which are not compliant with PDF standards and has not been included in the PDF 2.0 specification. These particular files have specialized encoding that is not universally read by other PDF software including varying versions of Acrobat. Forms may not display or behave as expected, and may not be able to fully edit or correctly opened using editing alternatives.

While Nitro will continue to do our best to support these formats, they are not supported in the PDF 2.0 ISO Standard. While we hate to see anyone using Adobe, when it comes to these unsupported form types, I would suggest using Adobe's free Reader product on the 1-off basis.

I hope this helps and I apologize for any inconvenience.

• 1 year later...
pnbowman@gmail.com

I'm getting precisely the same issue with the Canadian passport application PDF - Nitro Pro crashes whenever I open the file. Since this issue was first brought up over a year ago and is pretty common, if the forums are to be believed, I'm hoping that it's been resolved by now. Is there a newer version than 13.33.2.645 I can try? I'm currently on 13.9.

• Official Nitronaut
Reymund Oyong

Hi @pnbowman@gmail.com

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

The latest build of Nitro PDF Pro 13 is 13.58.0.1180 at this point and the installer can be located from the following location: 

https://www.gonitro.com/product-details/downloads - click the 'Download Nitro Pro 13' link. 

To update your installation, simply run the installer from the above link and it will automatically update the installation to 13.58.0.1180 build. 

If the issue persist after the update to this build, please share a copy of the PDF file so we can test it on our end. 

Kind regards,

pnbowman@gmail.com

Hi Reymund. Thank you. I've downloaded and tried the new version. It's nearly there. At least, it doesn't crash any more and lets me edit the file, a big improvement! But it still struggles with some of the fields, specifically the current home address postal/zip code in section 1, and the radio-box buttons in section 4. The file link is https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/passport/forms/pdf/pptc153.pdf.

To reproduce: in section 1, fill in a postal code. "A9A 9A9" is fine. (Don't be deceived by the popup message saying the format is A9A A9A;  Canadian postal code format is A9A 9A9.) Now back-tab and forward tab a few times to leave that field and re-enter. You will receive a message saying that your entry in this field is wrong.

In section 4, select the upper radio button, fill in something for the birth certificate, line, and leave the field. You'll notice that the second radio button is immediately selected, nor can all your piety and wit lure it back.

Now try these two things in Adobe Acrobat and you'll see that they work. Granted, these are undoubtedly non-standard fields. But if your product is to remain competitive with the free competition, it would be wise to support everything it does.