Nitro Pro does does not allow negative number on IRS form

Rhon Williams

Rhon Williams

I downloaded IRS form f990ez.pdf from IRS website. When attempting to fill in form text fields, Nitro Pro will not allow a negative number (pressing - gives beep). I called the IRS and they confirmed that the negative numbers are allowed and suggested a different application. I tried another pdf editor and it worked okay. I tried other forms and they worked okay. Why does Nitro Pro not allow a minus sign on this form?

• Official Nitronaut

Hello @Rhon Williams

Thanks for reaching out!

This document was created using a program called Adobe LiveCycle, which utilizes XFA / XML forms architecture that is not compliant with the PDF 2.0 specification set by the ISO (International Organization for Standardization).  This a proprietary Adobe format and not a standard PDF.  This is why you get the warning message when opening this form.

Our Product & Engineering team is actively investigating options to improve Nitro's ability to handle XFA and other non-standard PDF document-types, but this is a significant product roadmap initiative, and unfortunately, there isn't a short-term solution.

Although we have improved on how we work with this format, some files will still not behave as expected. As an alternative, when working with this type of documents, that use this proprietary Adobe format, please use Adobe Reader (free PDF software from Adobe).

I recommend you use Adobe Reader in place of Nitro Pro to modify and save the changes to the document, since many of the interactive elements on the file may not work correctly in Nitro Pro.

I hope you find this information helpful, but please let me know if you have additional questions.