File size remains same after deleting pages

Mark Molique

Mark Molique

When deleting pages from a pdf file in Nitro, the pages no longer appear but the file size remains the same. It does not get smaller as it should. The pages are no longer visible (that I can see), but the file size does not reduce, even when deleting the majority of pages. 

I run version 13.31.0.605, but this has always happened in every version of Nitro I have used. I have seen this same issue posted in other topic threads and every time it goes unanswered. 

Thanks for assistance.

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Mark Molique,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

After deleting pages or making changes on your PDF file, could you please use 'Save As' instead of 'Save'? Did it help?

Ideally, after changing/editing the document, instead of using the 'Save' feature (that is an incremental change), you may use 'Save As' that should create a new document with smaller file size.

Should you have further questions, please do not hesitate to reach-out again.

Mark Molique

Deleting a page out of a pdf and then using Save As results in a slightly larger file than the original. In my example, a two page pdf file is 300KB. When deleting one page and using Save As, the resulting file is 304 KB. While this is not bad where there are only two pages (as the problem can be solved using Extract...), most of the time this comes up in larger files.

The issue is really where a pdf file has dozens of pages and trying to delete pages out of the middle. Any other ideas because this seems like a real bug that comes up often enough that it makes me want to move to a different product. I mean, are the pages still viewable or still in the pdf that someone could ultimately discover?