No export (DOCX) of larger files with PDFpen Pro 8.3.4

Ilian Kelm

This is an automatic translation from German into English via Deepl:

I have a similar problem with my PDFpen Pro 8.3.4 as described here (macOS 10.14.6):

When I want to export a slightly larger file as DOCX, PDFpen Pro stops and there is no result. I'm wondering now if this is a problem specific to the 8 version or a fundamental problem with the newer versions as well. Unfortunately there is no way to test PDFpen 13 with the export function. :(
Who can tell me if PDFpen 13 works there with a 70-80MB also (e.g. with macOS 10.15.7 or 11.6)?

PDFpen 8 also failed to convert smaller documents (less than 400 pages and 30MB). Since no one is responding here, I assume that PDFpen 13 is also having similar problems. So I would not buy a new version of this software and look for another better solution. Too bad!

• Official Nitronaut
Reymund Oyong

Hi @Ilian Kelm

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

I do not have a docx file that has a file size of 70-80 MB but if you can share the file here, I can personally test it on my PDFpen Pro 13. 

Kind regards,

1 hour ago, Reymund G. said:

I do not have a docx file that has a file size of 70-80 MB but if you can share the file here, I can personally test it on my PDFpen Pro 13.

Thanks for your answer! It's actually about a large PDF file. It's about conversion to a DOCX (language German). Here is a larger file (more than 100MB) that you can test:

https://ia802602.us.archive.org/14/items/bub_gb_b9hRAAAAMAAJ/bub_gb_b9hRAAAAMAAJ.pdf

• Official Nitronaut
Reymund Oyong

Hi @Ilian Kelm, I am downloading now the PDF file from that link. 

Could you also provide the exact steps you are taking before coming across the issue where it stops with no result?

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Kind regards,

13 hours ago, Reymund G. said:

Hi @Ilian Kelm, I am downloading now the PDF file from that link. 

Could you also provide the exact steps you are taking before coming across the issue where it stops with no result?

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Kind regards,

It's about the normal procedure of how to convert a file, like I convert other smaller files. So I open the PDF file, then I click Export (as DOCX) and then I wait for Result until a window opens and I can save the exported file. With such large files, no result comes (even after hours).

On 10/15/2021 at 8:04 PM, Reymund G. said:

... I can personally test it on my PDFpen Pro 13.

What did the test with this large PDF file reveal? Could PDFpen 13 convert it to DOCX without any problems???

• 2 weeks later...

Since I hadn't received any answer until now, I assume that PDFpen 13 can't convert large PDF files to DOCX either. Too bad!

By the way, I also find it a pity that here every post (even as a reply in a thread) is not released immediately, but may also take a long time until it is published. This complicates and slows down the communication here additionally... :(

• Official Nitronaut
Reymund Oyong

Hi @Ilian Kelm,

My apologies for the delay, I was not successful in exporting the 100MB PDF document to Docx on my PDFpen Pro 13 with Macbook Air running BigSur. After several attempts, the export process stopped at around 12% without giving any error message.

I noticed that the document is a scanned document, so I went ahead and tried running OCR to see if it will help but the process hangs at 50%. 

Kind regards,