Nitro Office Add-ins permission denied

IT_Support

We have a PC that keeps getting an error with the Office add-ins. It says "Access to the path C:\users\user\appdata\roaming\nitro\pro\12\NitroExcelAddin.ini is denied". Also happens for the PowerPoint add-in.

I have tried the following:

• Uninstalling/reinstalling Nitro with the clean-up script.
  • Adjusting permissions on the .ini file (gave EVERYONE group full access).
  • Reinstalled and updated the add-ins with the Nitro support tool.
  • Updated Office to the latest version.

The error doesn't break any functionality, only displays the error which is a bit annoying.

Are there any other fixes I can try?

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @IT_Support,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

In order to further assist you, what build of Nitro Pro are you working with? You can find this out by clicking on 'About Nitro Pro' under the Help tab (format is 12.XX.X.XXX, e.g. 12.16.9.574) or you can go to Control Panel > Programs and Features.

Lastly, could you please provide the serial number of your Nitro Pro 12?

To send them via private message, hover your mouse on top of my name 'AllainU' and select 'Message'.

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you. 

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @IT_Support,

Thank you for the private message and for your patience.

I understand you have already performed some steps so please refer to this procedure in order for further troubleshoot:

1. Run a repair of the MS Office through Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features

2. Download and run our Clean Up utility to uninstall your current Nitro Pro and reboot your machine: 

http://install.nitropdf.com/professional_12169574/install-cleanup/install-cleanup.zip 

NOTE: This clean-up tool will erase any existing signature files within Nitro so please save them to another location before using the clean-up tool in order to keep them. Please see this link for backing up custom stamps/signatures: https://kb.gonitro.com/knowledgebase#/search/stamps/000004509 

3. Reinstall Nitro Pro 12.16.9.574 using the same MSI installer you have. If you need them, here they are:

x32 http://install.nitropdf.com/professional_12169574/en/retail/nitro_pro12_ba_x86.msi 
x64 http://install.nitropdf.com/professional_12169574/en/retail/nitro_pro12_ba_x64.msi

Important: If you are using Chrome or any of the Chromium-based browsers (e.g., Vivaldi, etc.) and you are unable to access the above installer links, you're more than likely experiencing the results of a new security feature that was silently pushed out to the browsers, which blocks .exe/.msi/etc downloads without any visible error or prompt on the browser's frontend user space. In order to bypass this, please try these steps:

a. Right-click the link you're trying to download, and select "Save link as..."
b. Choose your save location and select "Save"
c. On the bottom edge of your browser window, the Downloads bar should now appear and the file will show up with a red error icon, attempting to block the download. Press the caret button and select "Keep"

4. After installation, you can activate by opening Nitro Pro, clicking on the Help tab > About Nitro Pro > Activate by entering your serial number 234600-xxxxxx-155916

5. Please check if the Nitro Add-in for Word / Excel is present under user's AppData profile? The Plugins folder can be located under C:\Users\User's_Profile\AppData\Roaming\Nitro\Pro\12\Plugins and the plugin name for Word is NitroWordAddin.ini / NitroExcelAddin.ini.

6. If this file exists, please check the permission under Security tab then see if the user's Windows' account has access permission to it. Here are the steps:

a. Go to C:\Users\<User's_Profile>\AppData\Roaming\Nitro\Pro\13\Plugins

b. Right click the NitroExcelAddn.ini then click on Properties

c. Go to the Security tab then check if the user's has permission access to this file. See attached  'NitroExcelAddin.ini_Security-Tab.png'

NitroExcelAddin.ini_Security-Tab.thumb.png.bb27ca3a0e04b0d1dc1de2ae2a92581d.png

7. Lastly, try to enable the add-in inside the Excel COM add-ins section. I have outlined the steps below:

a. Open Microsoft Word

b. Go to File > Options then click Add-ins

c. Under the list of Add-ins, look for Nitro Pro. Click on it then click the Go... button beside the Manage: Com Add-ins.

d. Check Nitro Pro then click Ok. See attached screenshot - Enabling_NitroProWordAddin.JPG

After the above steps, please check if the Nitro Pro tab appears in the Excel application.

Thank you for choosing Nitro and I hope this helps.