Office addins denied error

Alex Cooney

We have a Windows 10 64-bit, running Nitro Pro v12.16.9.574, that keeps getting an error with the Office add-ins. It says "Access to the path C:\users\user\appdata\roaming\nitro\pro\12\NitroExcelAddin.ini is denied". Was originally only happening with Excel, but now also happens for the PowerPoint add-in. Doens't seem to be affecting Word yet.

We have tried the following:

• The 7 steps listed in other posts of people having this issue:
    • Uninstalling/reinstalling Nitro with the clean-up script.
    • Adjusting permissions on the .ini file (gave EVERYONE group full access).
    • Reinstalled and updated the add-ins with the Nitro support tool.
    • Repairing Office. Haven't tried a full reinstall yet
    • Emptying the 'temp' folder
    • Reinstalling from x64 http://install.nitropdf.com/professional_12169574/en/retail/nitro_pro12_ba_x64.msi
    • Confirming the addins are enabled in the office apps
  • Tried disabling all the Windows startup items
  • Tried replacing the addins files, as well as the nitro.office.addin files under Program Files (x86) Nitro folder with the same files from another machine running the same version

A couple of other things noted during testing:

• If I create a brand new Excel file, even if I try converting it to PDF, it doesnt seem to generate the error, only when I open an existing one
  • If I disable the addins in Excel or PP, the error still pops up
  • If I remove the folder containing the 'denied' addins altogether, the error still pops up
  • The error will usually popup once I actually close Excel, rather than when it is first opened. This is not always the case, but happens about 80% of the time. Error then needs to be cleared before trying to open another document. This seems to be more the case if I go through Excel - File - Open, rather than double-clicking the file in Windows Explorer to open it. Double-click to open will typically generate the error before opening the file, rather than when the file is closed.

I am heading towards reinstalling Windows, but that would be an absolute last resort. Would going to v13 make a difference?

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Alex Cooney,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

When opening any of your MS Office application, do they take time in loading their Nitro Add-in as shown in this screenshot?

Capture.PNG.e066aec615660e7f92e71c9a993993fd.PNG

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you.

Allain,

There is no delay when opening the office apps. It is a newer version, so it shows a slightly different opening window, but it doesn't delay before opening the app.

I did notice when looking at version info (V2112 Build 16.0.14729) it is 32-bit Office - We typically use that for compatibility across various platforms. Windows & Nitro are 64 Bit. Could this be an issue?

Alex

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Alex Cooney,

Our sincere apologies for the delay and thank you for your patience.

Looking at the long list of troubleshooting steps you have performed, we believe we are left to running a full repair of your MS Office. 

Thank you for your patience and please let us know how it goes on your end.

Allain,

Thanks for the reply. Are you suggesting a remove & reinstall of Office, or just running the 'Full Repair' option? Because we have tried the repair already

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Alex Cooney,

Thank you for this clarification.

Is this machine a member of a Domain? If yes, would it be fine uninstalling and reinstalling Nitro Pro 12.16.9.574 while a local Admin is logged?

Allain,

The machine is on a domain, but we had originally been doing most of the install/reinstalls as the local admin user, as the main user did not have admin rights

Other thought i had - the error refers to Nitro12 path - would it be worth trying v13, or would that just transfer the error to a different path?

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Alex Cooney,

Please log out from the Domain, reboot the machine and log in as a Local Admin on the machine.

Are you still experiencing the same error message?