Nitro PDF 13.53.1073 Crashes with code 0xc0000374

Garrett Clardy

Garrett Clardy

Hello everyone!

I need some help with Nitro crashing!!

One of my coworkers ran into an issue where Nitro will crash when opening some (not all ) documents. When it crashes, this is the event viewer log we get.

Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: NitroPDF.exe, version: 13.53.3.1073, time stamp: 0x61a0c9db

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1566, time stamp: 0x1be73aa8

Exception code: 0xc0000374

Fault offset: 0x00000000000ff249

Faulting process id: 0x2c20

Faulting application start time: 0x01d83ebbcd5af806

Faulting application path: C:\PROGRA~1\Nitro\Pro\13\NitroPDF.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 7c51d340-3141-47d7-ab47-88f372b267de

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

I have tried a lot to get it to work including running repairs, reinstalling, SFC scans, DISM checks and everything under the sun and it still crashes intermittently. Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

• Official Nitronaut
Reymund Oyong

Hi @Garrett Clardy

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

Based on the eventlog, the version and build of Nitro PDF Pro is 13.53.3.1073. 
The latest build of Nitro PDF Pro 13 is 13.58.0.1180 and I recommend updating your installation to that build. 

Could you please provide the serial number that was used to activate the software?
We need this information so we can determine the appropriate installer of the latest build. 

Kind regards,

Garrett Clardy
12 minutes ago, Reymund G. said:

Hi @Garrett Clardy

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

Based on the eventlog, the version and build of Nitro PDF Pro is 13.53.3.1073. 
The latest build of Nitro PDF Pro 13 is 13.58.0.1180 and I recommend updating your installation to that build. 

Could you please provide the serial number that was used to activate the software?
We need this information so we can determine the appropriate installer of the latest build. 

Kind regards,

Hey there @Reymund G.!

I am going to send you a message with the serial number if that is okay.

Thanks!

• Official Nitronaut
Reymund Oyong

Thank you for sending the serial number @Garrett Clardy

You can find the Nitro PDF Pro 13 installer (latest build) from the link below:
https://www.gonitro.com/product-details/downloads - click the 'Download Nitro Pro 13' link.  

To update, simply run the executable file installer and this will automatically update the installation to the latest build.
To confirm the version and build after installation, open Nitro PDF Pro then go to the Help tab > About Nitro Pro. It should display as Nitro Pro 13.58.0.1180.

Once confirmed, please observe if the error message persists when opening the document in Nitro PDF Pro.

Kind regards,

Garrett Clardy

So after running the installer and double checking the version, it still crashes. This time we got this log.

Faulting application name: NitroPDF.exe, version: 13.58.0.1180, time stamp: 0x61df7b9e

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1566, time stamp: 0x1be73aa8

Exception code: 0xc000041d

Fault offset: 0x00000000000a6532

Faulting process id: 0x3360

Faulting application start time: 0x01d83ee79add9563

Faulting application path: C:\PROGRA~1\Nitro\Pro\13\NitroPDF.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 6d208f84-19d6-4acf-bfaf-7fc7bcb211b3

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Thanks,

Garrett Clardy

Hey @Reymund G.,

Unfortunately I cannot due to the information in the PDFs. I assure you it is not the file that is the issue, it happens intermittently whenever the user opens any pdf file. Sometimes the file will stay open long enough the employee can work but then crashes a little later.

Thanks,

• Official Nitronaut
Reymund Oyong

Hi @Garrett Clardy

Are the files being accessed from a network or shared folder? Or, directly from a local drive like desktop location? 

I understand that the file/s cannot be shared due to confidential information. If you are able to replicate the issue with a file that can be shared, sharing this file to us will help us troubleshoot the issue by trying to replicate the issue on our end. Once the issue is reproduced within our environment, this will greatly help us investigate it. 

Kind regards,

Garrett Clardy

@Reymund G.,

The files the user access are from both locations as well as from emails in Outlook. I will work today with the user and see if we can replicate it with a test file. Then I will send a copy of that file for you to look at.

Thanks for the help so far!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Garrett Clardy,

I trust you are doing fine today and always safe.

Could you please send me as well a copy of the document you are working on?

Lastly, could you please provide a screenshot of your 'About Nitro Pro' window under the Help tab? This window should show the exact build of the program (format is 13.XX.X.XXX, e.g. 13.58.0.1180). The same information is available by going to Control Panel > Programs and Features.

To send them via private message, hover your mouse on top of my name 'AllainU' and select 'Message'.

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you. 

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Garrett Clardy,

Thank you for your patience and for providing the serial number.

Let us try some troubleshooting by referring to these steps:

1. Download and run our Clean Up utility to uninstall your current Nitro Pro and reboot your machine:

http://install.nitropdf.com/professional_13.58.0.1180/install-cleanup/install-cleanup.zip 

NOTE: This clean-up tool will erase any existing signature files within Nitro so please save them to another location before using the clean-up tool in order to keep them. Please see this link for backing up custom stamps/signatures: https://kb.gonitro.com/knowledgebase#/search/stamps/000004509 

2. After rebooting, download and install the latest version of Visual Studio (vc_redist.x64.exe & vc_redist.x86.exe) then reboot again your machine. Visual Studio 2015, 2017, 2019, and 2022 all share the same redistributable files:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

3. Clear all your Downloads folder or delete all downloaded Nitro installers. This step is important because we noticed that if you are saving all the installers and you download them in the same folder (like the downloads folder), the EXE can pick up any MSI installer in that folder and you may pick-up one of the older builds instead of the newly downloaded package.

4. Download and install Nitro PDF Pro 13.58 using the installer from this page:
https://www.gonitro.com/nps/product-details/downloads 

If you are getting the "Nitro Pro Wizard has failed" or "Something is blocking Nitro from proceeding Error occurred when resolving resource" message using our .exe package, it is because it requires a stable Internet connection to download installation files so please use our offline English MSI packages:

x32 https://downloads.gonitro.com/professional_13.58.0.1180/en/retail/nitro_pro13_ba_x86.msi
x64 https://downloads.gonitro.com/professional_13.58.0.1180/en/retail/nitro_pro13_ba_x64.msi 

To know if you have 32-bit or 64-bit Windows system, please refer to this article:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/15056/windows-32-64-bit-faq 

Important: If you are using Chrome or any of the Chromium-based browsers (e.g., Vivaldi, etc.) and you are unable to access the above installer links, you're more than likely experiencing the results of a new security feature that was silently pushed out to the browsers, which blocks .exe/.msi/etc downloads without any visible error or prompt on the browser's frontend user space. In order to bypass this, please try these steps:

a. Right-click the link you're trying to download, and select "Save link as..."
b. Choose your save location and select "Save"
c. On the bottom edge of your browser window, the Downloads bar should now appear and the file will show up with a red error icon, attempting to block the download. Press the caret button and select "Keep"

5. After installation, you can activate it by opening Nitro Pro, clicking on the Help tab > About Nitro Pro > Activate by entering your serial number 504999-xxxxxx-567691

6. Turning off User Account Control (UAC) for Nitro PDF Pro 13. Here are two methods that you can follow:

a. Right-click the Nitro shortcut > Properties > Compatibility > Turn off any settings there.

b. 
   i. Right-click > Troubleshoot Compatibility > Troubleshoot Program
   ii. Check "The program requires additional permissions" > Next > Test the program...
   iii. Wait for the program to launch > Next > Yes, save these settings for this program > Close

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you. 

• 2 weeks later...
Garrett Clardy

@Allain Umailin

After trying what you recommended above the users computer was able to open those troublesome PDFs for about two days! Unfortunately the issue did come back a little after that though. Any other recommendations? 

Thanks!

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Garrett Clardy,

We have seen a few reports where Nitro Pro is not performing as it should and was fixed by recreating the affected Windows User Profile because of possible unknown corruption. Is that something you can perform on your end?

Unfortunately, we do not have a way to troubleshoot corrupted user profiles so if you could recreate it by referring to this article, that would be great:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile-in-windows-1cf41c18-7ce3-12f9-8e1d-95896661c5c9