Unable to edit a pdf document. Another edits with no problem. Why?

John Zrimc

I have tried to convert a document by using all 3 methods.  It doesn't seem to complete the last .1 Mb of its conversion.

Also a previous Pdf had no problem and I was able to modify it with the edit feature. 

This new Pdf does nothing when using the edit feature.  It highlights the content in blue and will not move the box and when in red will not delete any of the writing.  I can add my own print to empty sections of the page though.

What to do?

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @John Zrimc,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

For the sake of initial troubleshooting of this issue, we recommend that you repair your Nitro Pro. Please reboot your computer before and after running this repair to ensure that there are no ties to Nitro still active in the background. You may refer to this article: https://kb.gonitro.com/knowledgebase#/search/repair/000004603 

If Modify button is greyed-out, please refer to this screencast that will teach you how to go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Programs and Features and repair your Nitro Pro program or any application installed on your system: https://www.screencast.com/t/rvpUkq40c

If repairing didn't help, could you please provide the following?:

-Is this a new issue or has it occurred since after installing Nitro Pro? Any changes you are aware of before this happened (e.g. Windows Updates)?

-Build of Nitro Pro are you working with. You can find this out by clicking on 'About Nitro Pro' under the Help tab (format is 13.XX.X.XXXX, e.g. 13.58.0.1180) or you can go to Control Panel > Programs and Features.

-I understand it is only happening with a single file so how was it create created and what software was used (e.g. from an external source like a website, from an email message, or an internal application/reporting tool) ? 

Thank you very much in advance and I am looking forward to hearing back from you.

• 1 year later...

One possible reason for this could be that the PDF file contains read-only text fields that cannot be edited. If this is the case, you can try switching to Form Edit mode in Adobe Acrobat and see if you can edit the text field.

Another reason could be that the PDF file is corrupted. In this case, you can try repairing the PDF file using a dedicated tool and then proceed to edit the PDF file without any issues.

If you’re still unable to edit the PDF file, you can try using other online PDF editors such as Systweak PDF Editor, PDF2GO, or Smallpdf. These tools offer a range of editing options such as adding text, images, highlights, shapes, and more.