'Document could not be saved' error message

Jason Schwandt

Jason Schwandt

Hello,

Over the last week, one of our users' Nitro PDF (for PC) consistently reports a dialog box error when trying to save edited files: "The document xxxxx could not be saved.  It may currently be open in another application or by another user", where xxx is the filename.  We know that the file is not being used elsewhere.  This has rendered our use of Nitro unusable.  This only appears to be occurring with one user at this point.  Short of uninstalling and reinstalling Nitro, are there any other ideas as to what could be the cause and/or possible solutions to resolve?

Thanks!

• Official Nitronaut

Hello @Jason Schwandt

Thanks for reaching out to us!

So that we can troubleshoot the problem, please provide me with the following:

- What exact version of Nitro you are using. You can find this information by opening Nitro. Go to the Help tab, then click About Nitro Pro.
- Are the files in a specific folder? If they are transferred, does the same thing happen?
- Please walk us through your specific step by step workflow so we can try to replicate the issue on our end.
- If you can also provide us with some files for testing please forward them to us.

I look forward to your response.

• 1 year later...
Jennifer Applegate

I am having the exact same problem. I am using version 13.70.7.60. This happens to many different files in many different folders but ONLY THE ONES IN THE CLOUD, which is essentially 99.99% of my files. This is through a software called Clio, which is for law firm project management. I am properly signed in to the cloud server, can access documents, etc. Also, this is a NEW problem but it has not gone away through restarting the computer.  

Walking through the specific step by step workflow:

1. I open a document that is stored in the Cloud. 

2. I make any change to the document -- typing text, adding or extracting pages, etc.

3. I select "File" and "Save" and I get the error message "The document A:\FILEPATH_AND_NAME.pdf could not be saved. It may currently be open in another application or by another user.

The document is not open in any other application and there are no other users; I'm a one-person business. I'd be happy to send along one of the documents I've had this happen to.

I am having to use "Print to PDF" every. single. time. I make a change to the document, which results in multiple copies of the same file and is very time-consuming. Please help!