debug.log created when opening scanned PDF document

Luc Neyens

Greetings,

Ever since installing version 14 of Nitro PDF Pro (specifically, 14.7.1.21), whenever opening a scanned PDF document (also in Nitro Pro PDF) a debug.log file is created within the same folder as the PDF document. I looked at various settings under Preferences, but there doesn't seem to be an option to turn off logging debug files. For what it's worth, as far as I can tell everything is working as it should, except that over time far too many debug.log files will be created.

Any advice on how to disable or avoid debug logging files would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Luc

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same issue and am looking for the solution

On 9/2/2023 at 2:17 AM, Luc Neyens said:

Greetings,

Ever since installing version 14 of Nitro PDF Pro (specifically, 14.7.1.21), whenever opening a scanned PDF document (also in Nitro Pro PDF) a debug.log file is created within the same folder as the PDF document. I looked at various settings under Preferences, but there doesn't seem to be an option to turn off logging debug files. For what it's worth, as far as I can tell everything is working as it should, except that over time far too many debug.log files will be created.

Any advice on how to disable or avoid debug logging files would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Luc

• 3 weeks later...
  • Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Craig Arndt @Luc Neyens,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

The debug.log is a recently discovered issue that we are currently investigating. So far, we have found that it only occurs in an older version of Nitro Pro and only when opening scanned files (specifically when the 'OCR' notification pops up - please see attached).

Could you please confirm if this is the same on your end?

If so, the current workaround is to deselect (turn off) "Show in-product messages" via File > Preferences > Notifications.

Another known workaround is to open Nitro PDF Pro before opening a scanned file.

Please let me know how it works for you.

Show in-product messages.png

Thank you for your feedback, Allain.

I ran a few tests based on your instructions: the only option that seems to work is to first open Nitro PDF Pro and only then opening the PDF file.

Deselecting "Show in-product messages" under Preferences does not have an effect (I tried this before, based on another forum post for a previous version of Nitro Pro), nor does the creation of the debug.log file appear to be related to scanned files only. For MS Word documents saved as PDF or other documents "exported" to PDF, whenever opening that PDF file a debug.log file is created (unless, as mentioned above, Nitro PDF Pro is already open.

For what it's worth, I'm using version 14.7.1.21 which, as far as I can tell, is the most recent version.

Thank you for continuing to look into this.

Luc

• 2 months later...