Nitro Pro 13, sudden slow to launch

Curtis Puetz

About the 1st of October, my Nitro Pro 13 (13.70.7.60 to be exact) started being very slow to launch.  No matter how the program is launched, it is easily 45 seconds or more after the splash screen before the program window opens and is accessible.  I've read all the threads I can find and tried the suggestions there to no change (which did include installing this newest version as this actually started on an older version).  I've uninstalled, ran the cleaner tool, reinstalled several times to no change.  

We have 10 other employees all with their separate licenses and I am the only one having this issue.

We also run with the user accounts in non-administrator privileges but as I also assist with IT, I have a separate login that has admin rights.

Here's the real odd thing - when I launch Nitro Pro by "Run As Administrator" on the same PC, it launches immediately with no issue.  I strongly suspect it has something to do with the license check, but since I am the only one in our office with the issue AND the fact that using "Run As Administrator" doesn't show the same issue on the same PC, I doubt it has anything to do with our network firewall or overall internet connection.  It HAS to be something on this PC that is affecting it.

Any help would be appreciated.  I just launch the program first thing in the morning and leave it open, which works, but I still sometimes forget and close out, so I would like to get this solved.

• 4 weeks later...

Updating this in case anyone else finds it and themselves in a similar situation.

After all kinds of attempts to resolve the issue, what ended up working was this:

- Uninstall Nitro, then reboot.

- Go through the Registry searching for "Nitro" and deleting every instance of it, keys, key groups, everything.  Some wouldn't delete but didn't seem to cause an issue.  Reboot again.

- Navigate to the AppData folder for the user profile and delete every folder of "Nitro" that you can find, looking in each subfolder.  Reboot again.

- Install Nitro and reboot.

- Run Nitro (which should now be zippy quick to open like it should) and activate using your license key.

After all that, I'm 3 days without any issues.  

• 2 months later...
Curtis Puetz

Following up yet again on this:

After other users in our small office started experiencing problems and the above didn't fix them, we thought "maybe it is just that we are on the older version and need to upgrade" so we went and purchased 11 new individual perpetual licenses in December.

Now, January 22, 2024, my Nitro Pro 14 installation exhibits the same "slow to open" behavior.  I'm working through the various fixes in an effort to resolve the issue, but frankly, this is starting to get to the point that we may need to ditch Nitro and find a different solution.  I'm not a happy user right now . . . 

Curtis Puetz

One more followup - had the admin go in and delete the entire Appdata folder for Nitro 14 from my user profile.  After 2 failed Nitro launches, it finally launched and is back to the usual functionality and behavior.   So, it would seem there is something in the APPDATA folder that eventually breaks, clogs or something such that deleting that folder fixes the issue.