file name too long

Jeremy

I'm trying to copy files over from one place to another, but I get an error saying the file name is too long?  I can solve it by making the name shorter, but for some files I just can't do that.  It's only allowing me about 10 letters in total to name a file. 

Is their a way around this issue?  I've done this many times in the past and have had no issue at all with it, but for some reason I'm having this issue now.  Thanks.

• I agree 1

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

It's possible, though generally unlikely that you're running into a Windows limitation here.

There's a 255 character limit for paths in Windows generally (C:\users\public\test.txt is a path example or \\testsrv\file.doc), and it's not normally an issue unless you have deeply nested folders and long filenames.

If this isn't the issue, then file a bug with Nitro, because something is wrong: https://www.gonitro.com/support/ticket.

If the path length is the issue, then the best way around it is to shorten the path length- on network resources, this can be done by making a new mapped drive closer to where your file needs to go, and then use that drive instead of going to the full path.

• I agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Where is the Long Path Tool program located?  I've tried looking for it a few times but i can find it anywhere.  Any help would be great.  Thanks.

• I agree 1

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

If you are struggling to copy long path files then there is a easy way to fix this. Just download Long Path Tool, it is very simple with this tool. It will solve all your problems.