Password protection

steve cline

steve cline

Hello

We protect pdf's using passwords in Nitro's "Protect tab."  Our primary concern is that the docs are protected in transit.  We give the passwords to the recipient via voice call.  Once the document is received, we would like the recipient to be able to disable password protection so that they won't have to remember it or write it down or anything.

We have found that the only way to disable password protection is for the author of the document to disable it on their own PC.  Obviously, that doesn't solve our problem.

Went to security settings (as the recipient) and tried setting to "no security" and am prompted for password.  Makes sense.  After entering password am told "you do not have permission to change security settings."  Is there a way to delegate that permission?

Thanks

Steve

• Official Nitronaut

Hello @enilc,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

The password cannot be removed by just entering the password. The recipient should also have a PDF editor (like Nitro Pro) and will need to enter the password to remove the password settings. There is no workaround for this, unfortunately.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

steve cline
9 hours ago, Leslie V. said:

Hello @enilc,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

The password cannot be removed by just entering the password. The recipient should also have a PDF editor (like Nitro Pro) and will need to enter the password to remove the password settings. There is no workaround for this, unfortunately.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

Thank you for your response.

Do you mean they will need Nitro Pro as a PDF editor?  We attempted to remove a password set in Nitro Pro using Adobe Acrobat Pro and were unable.  So "like Nitro Pro" doesn't seem correct.  It seems like passwords set in Nitro Pro must be removed using Nitro Pro and passwords set in Adobe Acrobat can only be removed using Adobe Acrobat?  Our testing seems to confirm this (but is ongoing).  Is this correct?

Steve

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

I've tried this, and I was able to use Nitro 11 to remove a file open password from an Acrobat 10 PDF.  The process is very simple, but not entirely obvious.

When you open up the file with Nitro, go to the Protect tab, and click on Password Security.

On the Security tab, you'll see "Security method:". Switch from "Password security" to "No security".

Press OK, and save the document (do Save As if you want to keep the original around).

Once you re-open the document, the password is gone.

Hopefully this works for you, but if not, let me know.

Archived