Word search function for pdf-image documents not working?

AlexM

Hi:

A year ago, I bought Nitro Pro because I could do word search in pdf-images documents for archival researches. I just bought Nitro Pro again and this time the search function cannot find any word in the same document that i had searched a year ago? Do I have a setting issue? Converting this kind of documents into words or other softwares does not seem to work because they are 'image-pages' of texts. Any help anyone before I have to cancel my Nitro Pro upgrape....:-(

Thx for any assistance,

AM

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

This is a bit strange- OCR is in every version, and that's what lets you search images.  The OCR option is under the review tab- if you only want to search the document, Make Searchable is what you want.

Are you seeing the OCR notification box when you open a document? Unless you turn it off, that box shows up every time you open up an image-based PDF. 

Thank you Steven:

I was not aware of this function and I converted the document accordingly (OCR). Unfortunately, it does not seem to work either. For instance, after OCR was done, I searched some generic words but Nitro Pro gave me 1 result per word only (while I know they are many times in the document).  Thank you for your assistance. I'm afraid I will have to cancel my upgrade.

Best,

AM

• 5 months later...
On 28/11/2017 at 8:12 PM, AlexM said:

Thank you Steven:

I was not aware of this function and I converted the document accordingly (OCR). Unfortunately, it does not seem to work either. For instance, after OCR was done, I searched some generic words but Nitro Pro gave me 1 result per word only (while I know they are many times in the document).  Thank you for your assistance. I'm afraid I will have to cancel my upgrade.

Best,

AM

A bit similar to AlexM, it seems my OCR is done ONLY on the first page of the scan! Do you have an idea of what is going on?

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

What version of Nitro are you on? I'll check my copy of Nitro 11 to see if that's also the case here.

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

I did a quick test on Nitro 11.0.7.425 on a less-than-perfect scan.  The original just had one page so I duplicated the page 3 more times, and then ran the Searchable OCR on it.

The one word I expected to see 4 times (once per page), did in fact show up 4 times.

It's possible Nitro can't correctly recognize the words you're searching for- to see the text Nitro has produced, you can use the Select tool and drag the box over the whole page.

You can then right-click and copy that text to something else to see what the text was transformed into.  You can also press CRTL-F, and then click on the gear to bring up Advanced Search, which shows neighboring text around any search results.

Archived