Constantly Freezing Up?

Andrew DeMaio

Andrew DeMaio

Has anybody else experienced an issue with Nitro constantly freezing up while working in it?  All of our users experience this.  You will be scrolling through and then it will stop for a few seconds, the point will turn into the blue "waiting" circle, then the picture will get fuzzy and zoom in a bit, then will snap back to normal like nothing happened.  It is very annoying, especially when you are trying to do something quickly.  We are running the latest version of Pro 11 in Windows 10 and 64-bit.

I also experience this issue with several users, Pro 10 (10.5.9.9) on Windows 7 x64. Same behavior you describe, KarlHungus53, except that it never snaps back to normal for me. It hangs indefinitely and pops up the windows crash reporter.

Here's an event log from a coworker's machine. Same across the board with other users.

Faulting application name: NitroPDF.exe, version: 10.5.9.9, time stamp: 0x5791f7a4
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23572, time stamp: 0x57fd0651
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000067c65
Faulting process id: 0x10a4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2bd27ff854193
Faulting application path: C:\PROGRA~1\Nitro\PRO10~1\NitroPDF.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Andrew DeMaio

I was on with Tech support last week for an issue with Stamps not working.  They put me on the previous build and the stamps work now, but the freezing still happens.  She did get to see the freeze up a few times while remotely using my system and did take notice of it and will look into to.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I posted this same answer on another thread in this forum regarding the freezing issue, but thought it might be helpful if I posted it here  since that thread dealt with other issues as well, but this one is specific to that problem.

I also frequently experienced the random hang-up problem with both Release 10 and Release 11 on a 64-bit Windows 10 PC. Out of curiosity (and desperation) I tried the following and thus far it seems to have fixed the problem:

1)  Right click on the NitroPro desktop shortcut icon (or right click directly on the NitroPDF.exe file in the directory where it resides)

2)  From the menu that appears click on "Troubleshoot Compatibility"

3) After Windows completes its detection search, it will provide a menu choice of two troubleshooting options.  Select the "Try recommended settings".

4)  After Windows completes whatever fix(es) it temporarily makes, it will ask you to test to see if the problem has indeed been fixed.  Since the issue is random, you might not want to spend too much time trying to determine if the hang-up still occurs, and it won't anyway if Windows has fixed it, so accept the selection choice that the problem has been fixed.

Seems to have worked on my PC - still hoping it's permanent - appears to be - and that it works for others as well.

NOTE:  Although the hang-up problem seemed random, I found that I could induce a different form of it by selecting the Review Tab, then the Pencil from the Drawing tool, and then  drawing freehand (e.g. circling a sentence or paragraph of text). If I drew too slowly, the tool would stop working before I completed the motion.  With the fix described above, this no longer occurs.

Archived