Usability improvements

Andrey

Suggestion

Hi everyone,

I know that usability is a subjective thing, though I believe I won't be alone in a desire to implement suggested below improvements. Please suggest yours as well.

I work with PDF documents quite frequently. Typically those are drawings, which I need to review, comment, mark up and sign. So here is my list of things I would like tune:

• add zoom 'fit page' and 'fit width' to bottom right corner where view settings and zoom located
  • add keyboard shortcut for 'temporary rotate view'
  • add keyboard shortcut for 'select' and/or add it to right click menu
  • make rotate tool to rotate all pages as default, not only current
  • introduce pop up (floating) window for shapes Annotations-Properties-Appearance settings
  • make it an option to hide 'OCR' notification
  • I really like when there is an option to have any interface elements located vertically, reason being that nowadays screens are typically have wide aspect ratio, so when we have start menu, quick access, ribbon, tabs, navigation bars stacked together, it leaves very narrow area for actual document. E.g. comments list occupy bottom of the screen, would be nice to have them vertically.

Full of hopes to see at least some of suggestions introduced in future versions.

5 replies to this suggestion

I am in a similar situation to Andrey, working with P&ID and electrical schematics. As well as echoing many of Andrey's suggestions I would like to see an inbuilt rasterizer along with an improved highlighter tool. This would allow me to highlight lines and sections of drawings other than text.

• Power User
Steven Zakulec

There's some good news for both of you- at least some of these things can be configured already, or are present but easily missed.

17 hours ago, Andrey said:
  • add zoom 'fit page' and 'fit width' to bottom right corner where view settings and zoom located
  • introduce pop up (floating) window for shapes Annotations-Properties-Appearance settings

Add zoom 'fit page' and 'fit width':

You can't add these to the bottom right, but you can break them out as their own buttons on the Quick Access bar.

To do this, right-click on the bar above the Home tab, and choose Customize Quick Access Toolbar.

Pick Home from the drop-down, and then scroll down to the 'Fit Page' and 'Fit Width'.  Double click on the item you want to be added, or click on it and press Add.

Keyboard shortcuts:

To add (or check the keyboard shortcut for a command), again right click on the bar above the Home tab, and choose Customize Quick Access toolbar.

Click on Keyboard shortcuts.

Just about every command in Nitro can be assigned a shortcut, including sub-options like Temporarily Rotate View.  Outside of this window, you can hover over a menu item to see it's shortcut, and if you press Alt, you'll see the current shortcut letters for all the visible items (if they have one).  You can also press the indicated letter, and then the tab or item will pop up and indicate the shortcut key for that level.

Rotate tool:

I'm not sure how to force a different default, but you can definitely rotate all the pages at once.  You can do this for the current document, or as a batch process. Under the Rotate tool, you can click on Advanced, and there's an option there to choose the page range.

Under File, Batch Processing, there's an option for Rotate Pages.

Hide the OCR notice:

This option already exists, but is poorly named.  Under File, Preferences, Notifications, you want to uncheck "Show in-product messages".

Better highlighting:

I'd also like this, but there's some workarounds you can use currently:

If the document is made Searchable using OCR, you can then highlight anything then.

Otherwise, you can approximate the highlight and other effects with shapes.  If you make an appropriately sized shape,  color, invisible borders, and transparency (and then go to Properties, and Set as Default), you've got pseudo-highlights.

Hope this helps!

Steven,

thank you for reply. I already done several things you mentioned like using quick access bar. Really pleased with flexibility of assigning keyboard shortcuts. 

Editing the list to have  list of open items.

• I really like when there is an option to have any interface elements located vertically, reason being that nowadays screens are typically have wide aspect ratio, so when we have start menu, quick access, ribbon, tabs, navigation bars stacked together, it leaves very narrow area for actual document. E.g. comments list occupy bottom of the screen, would be nice to have them vertically

Work around suggested: 

• add an inbuilt rasterizer along with an improved highlighter tool. This would allow me to highlight lines and sections of drawings other than text.

Done:

Archived