Nitro Pro 11.0.7 patch fails

David O'Connell

• Power User

Hi @David O'Connell,

Thanks for using the Community to reach to us! 

Please download the Nitro Cleanup tool. This will remove all traces of Nitro from your computer: http://install.nitropdf.com/support/downloads/cleanup.zip

Simply unzip the file and run it. When you're finished, please restart your computer and re-download the Nitro Pro 11.0.7.425 installer from the below links:

http://install.nitropdf.com/professional_1107425/retail/nitro_pro11.exe

Should you continue to receive the error please log a ticket with our Support Team and let me know once you have. I will make sure someone responds to you.

Thanks, 

Hi Laura,

I have had a similar yet different experience with the patch, Nitro fails to load (hangs and never opens as it did prior to the patch).

I have followed your advice and run the clean up tool, restarted and then used the downloader you linked to.  This downloader installs version 11.0.7.173 and not the .425 patch as you indicated.  Having installed from this downloader I have tried to use the update link from the header of the community.  However this also does not work.

Following this I ran the clean up tool again and after restarting used the link from the header to install a fresh install of .425.  This also has not worked.

This is very frustrating and is forcing me to consider moving to a different pdf tool for my office.

Any help you can provide to resolve this issue is appreciated.

• Power User

Hi @Scott (M),

Thank for reaching out regarding the issue you are experiencing. 

Could you log a Support Ticket and let me know once you have done this. I will then have a Support Rep help you with this. 

Thanks, 

• Administrators
Mario Kevesic

@caarmstrong and @Scott (M) could you please ensure your downloads folder is emptied of any Nitro Pro installation files? I'm assuming that old installation files are causing this issue. In other words, they're being pulled and installed so they need to be deleted first. 

Thanks Mario and Laura for your quick responses.  Removing a number of old installation files did the trick. Did a search for Nitro from the top of C: and removed all that was found.  Downloaded again as above and the installation worked without a hitch.   v11.0.7 really flys now. 

thanks again. 

Hi Laura,

Have followed Mario's steps as well as yours.  I have uninstalled, run the cleanup tool, deleted all installers, deleted every file called nitro from the C: drive, emptied the recycle bin, and restarted the PC.  Downloaded the latest version from your links and the installation completes.  When it launches, the splash screen hangs, eventually the splash turns white and says program not responding.

Any suggestions?

Scott

Hi Laura,

I do not have Software Assurance and am not prepared to pay for it given the current state of this install and risk that it may not work on this or future computers.

Further, I find it quite disappointing that you require me to pay for support on top of the cost of the license.  Support for a licensed copy of Nitro should be included in the purchase price (my licence can be provided to you if required).

If you are prepared to provide support (to try keep me as a customer and advocate of Nitro) I will happily take it.  If not, then I kindly ask for a refund of the license fee so that I can find a pdf solution that works.

Regards 

Scott

• Power User

Hi @Scott (M), I definitely want to help you resolve this issue and that is why I asked you to confirm once you have logged the ticket. That way I can then make sure your ticket is picked up by a Support Rep.

Thanks, 

I downloaded the patch from the Nitro email link but when I started the install my antivirus software (Avast) blocked it warning the download was a virus and moved it to the virus vault.  It identified the download as IDP.ALEXA.51virus. 

Attempts to re-download the update all fail stating I am not authorised to open the file.

Download worked only when I created a new empty folder for it.  It installed perfectly only after I switched off my anti virus (it's back on now) and allowed the installer to close two running programmes which where not visible to me but were blocking the install.  The update button on my previous version 11.0.2 didn't work, telling me there were no updates and I see this button is not on the 11.0.7 update.

Many thanks.

Alasdair

David O'Connell

I have followed all the instructions on this thread and the concurrently running responding to Chasco beginning January 28th to uninstall Nitro Pro using the "cleanup" tool, rebooted, and cleaning out the trash bin, downloading the purported patch, and the result is the same.  The program installer (with the horizontal slider marking a partial download in process) hangs, then an error window appears stating the installation had failed.  

Any further helpful hints?  This clearly does not appear to be a patch ready for prime time.

• Official Nitronaut
On 2/6/2018 at 8:40 PM, Alasdair said:

Download worked only when I created a new empty folder for it.  It installed perfectly only after I switched off my anti virus (it's back on now) and allowed the installer to close two running programmes which where not visible to me but were blocking the install.  The update button on my previous version 11.0.2 didn't work, telling me there were no updates and I see this button is not on the 11.0.7 update.

Many thanks.

Alasdair

Hello @Alasdair,

I'm glad it installed perfectly. We usually suggest clearing the downloads folder before installing the update. This step is important because we noticed that if you are saving all the installers you download in the same folder (like the downloads folder) the EXE can pick up any MSI installed in that folder, and may pick-up one of the older builds instead of the new one.

We have also temporarily disabled the automatic updates and the Check for Updates tool, while we are trying to fix an issue connected to this. Sorry for the inconvenience.

In the meantime, I recommend that you download the latest updates of Nitro Pro 11 from here: https://www.gonitro.com/support/downloads 

Cheers!

• Official Nitronaut
On 2/7/2018 at 12:04 AM, David O'Connell said:

I have followed all the instructions on this thread and the concurrently running responding to Chasco beginning January 28th to uninstall Nitro Pro using the "cleanup" tool, rebooted, and cleaning out the trash bin, downloading the purported patch, and the result is the same.  The program installer (with the horizontal slider marking a partial download in process) hangs, then an error window appears stating the installation had failed.  

Any further helpful hints?  This clearly does not appear to be a patch ready for prime time.

Hello David,

Can you try temporarily disabling your antivirus during the installation? Please let us know how that goes.

David O'Connell

After several tries,  a complete removal of the legacy version of Nitro Pro, and implementation of the "cleanup.zip" file to remove all vestiges of the program from my system, then download of the new Nitro Pro  to a dedicated and EMPTY folder, the install worked.  It was very slow, and frustrating, but it ultimately worked. 

I fault the company for its stumbling and amateurish roll-out of this update.  But, admittedly, the Windows 10 Creators update made many programs react badly without substantial changes in programs that customers relied upon.  Some programs, notably Adobe 9.5.5 to which I turned when Nitro would not work, or worked slowly, worked flawlessly during the month or so we have all be dealing with this.  The company can and should work on its employees' communication skills and  learn to deal with customer frustration like adults, not like petulant nerds, which has sometimes been the case.  Sometimes we don't get it first time. Or the second, third, or fourth . . . As they figured out what was necessary to do the install, they could and should have admitted that this was a learning experience for everyone.

Archived