auto detect text boxes ?

bill butcher

I recently switched to nitro pro 11 from nuance pro do to some software  compatibility issues ..Anyhow it had an awesome feature I cant seem to find in Nitro Pro 11

and was wondering if someone knows if nitro pro 11 can do it or has an add in to do it ?

But in Nuance pro when you open any document it automatically will search the document for any blanks, boxes etc .. where it thinks that editable text can be inserted , IT AUTOMATICALLY CREATES TEXT BOXES .. this is most helpful when you have a scanned or saved document that has many blanks you want to be completed or filled in once the document is a pdf file ..it saves a lot of time having to go in and create the boxes by hand .   Another issue I cant wrap my head around is when you do create text  boxes  and you save the form to latter be completed or filled out .. and you want to take a group of these completed forms and make a file ..it over rides all the individual info with what ever is last entered in " thus the boxes are linked "  not sure the purpose of this .. but shouldn't the created boxes automatically have a different name each time you make one .. if I rename them like example I am creating a form for my Valve inspections ..there are about 50 of them , I record the date , inspected by person , the location , name of valve, work order number etc .. these are all blanks on the form that I want to create one master form and re use for each of the 50 sites ... what I do is fill in that info then save the individual form under the name of the valve .. once I am done with all 50 inspections , I save them in a file as one completed inspection for 2017 Spring lets say ..that way I don't have to email 50 separate sheets .. how ever as I create that file I noticed that the info is over written by what ever info was last entered .. So the last valve may have been inspected by me John doe , on 4-17-2017 , work order number 456 , at Brandon Minnesota , now all the valve reports fill in with that info ...and those fields will be different for each one ..now without making 50 separate forms with separate named text boxes how do you create one that will allow for different info for each of the 50 individual forms that will be made into one file... this also goes along with the auto complete or auto detect text boxes function I described earlier ..where as in nuance pro it automatically finds areas of the forms where you want to be able to add editable text ,and creates the boxes with different names so once the form is created , it can be reused , for all 50 sites and the info is its individual but can be saved as one file and does not over write the info you input..

I am so hoping that nitro pro 11 can do this , I want to be impressed by the software as it does other things quite well ..but this is one big hang up , that may be the difference in going back to Nuance for me ...

anyhelp would be much appreciated

Thanks Bill

bill.butcher@nustarenergy.com

• 3 weeks later...

I'm anxiously waiting for a reply to this.  Foxit Phantom could do this.  It wasn't perfect but a lot easier than having to add everything manually.

bill butcher

Not only does other software do this they have been doing it for a long while , and the cost of these is quite similar . The other issue is that even if you create all the text fields etc , where they should automatically be selected from a scanned document that has blanks and boxes .. if you do manually make them you have to be careful if you use the same form over and over , as I do we have an inspection form we use for over 30 sites , I wanted 1 form that I could save and just fill in the blanks , with the inspection findings and re save with the location name of each inspection I then submit them .. nitro see's all boxes as the same so lets say I am at the walnut valve site and I found a leaky valve I fill that in on the form in the text box I created manually , I save it under walnut valve site .. I then use the same form for say black bird valve site , so I complete that one and did not find any thing leaking so I fill that in and save under the black bird valve site name ... ok so now I have about thirty of these all different sites all using the same main form ... if I want to email them to our supervisor I cannot group them all in one file because the info from the last one will auto fill in the same info from it into that same text field in all the  separate copies of the form .. unless you flatten them ..each individually before saving into that one main file to email ... this takes lots of time , not to mention defeats the purpose of scanning a form and creating a text field to fill in latter on and use that master form for several places and save under different names because once flattened they are no longer fillable ..so you have to start over ... where as in nuance pdf creator or pdf pro it automatically sensed the blanks and boxes and created the text fields and they are automatically renamed so you can save one form and not have to do anything nothing over writes , it doesn't need to be flattened ...saves tons of time , which equals money ... plus even if it automatically selects areas in a scanned form where you do not want text , you simply delete it , its easier and less time to delete them than create every one ...  you would think nitro pro would have already been doing this ... sad

Archived