Modify a signed document

Keith Allen

Similar issue to bowtie guy. I have Nitro 13 and just started using the signing software. I’m a Realtor and use the software for offers and 99% of the time something changes - the price, the closing date, something. Usually all that’s needed is to change those couple of things, both parties sign, delete the old pages insert the new and you’re done. Docusign does this. Dotloop does this. SignNow does this. But apparently Nitro Pro doesn’t. If I can’t do this I send a 13 page contract back to my client to make one or two changes. There HAS to be a way to do this more easily. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @kallen12,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums and our sincere apologies for the delayed approval of your posts.

By adding a Digital Signature, please note you are securing a file and its contents and combining files basically changes the file. This is why the Digital Signature is no longer applicable in the new combined file. It's like having a signed document and adding pages that will make the signatures invalid.

The same behavior will apply if you want to insert and add/remove pages from a PDF file with Digital Signature, however they are not meant to be transferred and adjusted outside of the document. If a Digital Signature was placed on a file and then the file is changed in any way, the Digital Signature will become invalid as well, since it's nulling the original contents before signing.

The Quicksign signature will stay, as it does not require a Security Certificate and is basically embedded text.

I recommend reading through the following links if you would like to know more:
https://www.gonitro.com/nps/pro/pdf-electronic-digital-signatures 
https://www.gonitro.com/user-guide/pro/article/digital-signatures

Thank you for choosing Nitro and I hope this helps!

• 3 years later...

It makes sense to NOT be able to modify a document after signatures have been entered, but this puts a lot of pressure on the creator of the document to void out the current document, then make their changes, then start over from the beginning.

A better approach, IMO, would be to allow changes, then a pop-up-window could be generated that stated "IF YOU CONTINUE, YOUR PREVIOUS SIGNATURES WILL BE VOIDED".

The creator could accept that warning, then make their changes, then re-submit to the end-user to re-sign the document.

ANOTHER option might be for Nitro to identify the changes, then force all recipients to initial the new wording or the new pages.

ANOTHER option might be for Nitro to prompt the creator that ALL signatures and data will be removed and voided if ANY changes are done.  This should not be a problem because all of the markups would still be active, and the creator could make their changes, then resubmit for signature.

This inability for change has been difficult for me and I have had to re-populate the document for signatures, initials and dates.  Basically re-doing the entire document.