Why no licensing portal for v13?

Rob Nicholson

Rob Nicholson

Whilst we try and track where we have installed Nitro Pro, the lack of a licensing portal to check activations is a problem. When is this going to be resolved?

psnbvNO.png

Edited by Rob Nicholson
Added inline image

• Official Nitronaut

Hello @Rob Nicholson

There is no definite date yet for the update of the license portal, but you can always contact us for issues of licensing and we'll do our best to resolve them.

When it comes to activation and the records we keep our logs are based on a computer ID which is generated and stored exclusively within Nitro Pro's user interface. We are unable to see the computer names/IDs that you are using for the machines internally. You can find this ID on each machine by going to Help > About Nitro Pro > Activate/Deactivate > Advanced.

We would recommend always maintaining a list of this Nitro Pro-specific computer ID for each corresponding user so that in the event a computer breaks down or you forget to deactivate prior to replacing a machine, you can contact us with this ID and we can then remove its activation on our end.

In order to resolve this issue, please send us a usage report of the active users of Nitro Pro within your organisation and provide a list of their Nitro Pro computer IDs (instructions above on where to find this) and we can cross-reference this with our own records and proceed from there.

I look forward to hearing from you.

this is killing me. i need to deactivate my license so i can reactivate it on the same machine. i had to reinstall windows a few times recently and I just assumed that license deactivation would not be an issue (either deactivation or machine identity) I hope a portal comes soon. Now where do I go or who do I talk to to get my license status refreshed?

i tried to submit a support ticket but upon entering it i was ejected to the license tool page that does not work for v13. I thought I was a business user. I bought Nitro to try it as an alternative to acrobat dc, which i have had for years. I like nitro but this is really difficult to take when i need pdf functionality right now. I hope a mod might see this and point me in the right direction so i can click off my old installs and move forward. thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Rob Nicholson
On 3/11/2020 at 3:05 PM, Leslie V. said:

We would recommend always maintaining a list of this Nitro Pro-specific computer ID for each corresponding user so that in the event a computer breaks down or you forget to deactivate prior to replacing a machine, you can contact us with this ID and we can then remove its activation on our end.

Well that's the first time after raising probably 30+ tickets about activation problems that this very sensible bit of advice has been given. I hadn't even realised that this information was available in the client. Can you put a wish into the developers list - to display the Computer ID during activation. Just make licensing process a bit easier, not harder.

I will raise an internal ticket to get this information retrospectively for the small number of v13.

It would be very useful on the activation portal that doesn't exist for v13 to be able to see the list of activations and computer IDs.

Rob Nicholson
On 3/11/2020 at 6:35 PM, brmoore said:

his is killing me. i need to deactivate my license so i can reactivate it on the same machine

Nitro Pro licensing system is top of my pet hates with supporting the system. It's not rocket science to fix it and the fact that licensing in v13 doesn't appear to be significantly different to v12 doesn't give one a good feeling about the package. Fortunately, right now, the end users are okay with it. But aside - make SharePoint integration better! The second one of your competitors does that, my client is off. And I really am not kidding.

Edited by Rob Nicholson