When opening a downloaded PDFin Chrome, PDF always opens in Chrome

Alex Bryant

Alex Bryant

I have set all PDFs in Windows (Settings - Default Programs) to open in NitroPro, and they do if I am double-clicking a PDF on already on the computer. But if I download a PDF through Chrome and click on it in the browser window, Chrome opens the PDF.

Unfortunately, I am in a situation where I must download dozens of different PDF labels one at a time and open them one at a time. For each, I need Nitro to open and not the Chrome PDF reader, but I cannot see a way to have Nitro take over this function from Chrome.

Has anyone seen this behavior and solved it?

Thanks!

• Official Nitronaut
Allain Umailin

Hello @Alex Bryant,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

To further assist you, please follow these steps:

- Enter the following in the search field: chrome://settings which you bring you to Chromes settings page. 
 - Scroll down and select "Advanced" under "Privacy and Security" select Content Settings.
 - Towards the bottom of the screen select PDF Documents and move the switch to turn on the option to download PDF files instead of opening them within the browser.

Thank you for choosing Nitro and I hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...
Alex Bryant
On 5/1/2020 at 10:57 AM, AllainU said:

Hello @Alex Bryant,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our Community Forums!

To further assist you, please follow these steps:

- Enter the following in the search field: chrome://settings which you bring you to Chromes settings page. 
 - Scroll down and select "Advanced" under "Privacy and Security" select Content Settings.
 - Towards the bottom of the screen select PDF Documents and move the switch to turn on the option to download PDF files instead of opening them within the browser.

Thank you for choosing Nitro and I hope this helps!

Thank you for talking up my issue. I went to follow your steps but ran into some problems.

"Privacy and security" are no longer under Advanced.

"Content settings" is no longer in Chrome Settings at all (a search reveals a Site Settings" but no mention in that menu of PDF for anything).

Searching for PDF takes me to a PDF Settings, but this is just, "Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Chrome" with an On-Off switch. Helpful, certainly, as I was at least able to turn off Chrome and simply download all PDFs. Still a nuisance, but a step closer.

Could you review your steps, check them against a current version of Chrome and make sure they work as stated? 

Thanks!