Validating Forms

Andrew Brown

Andrew Brown

Looking to make the switch over from Acrobat, but appears that the forms I use for work are not compatible with Nitro.  These are BPO forms (broker price opinion) where I need to fill in various form fields that are pre-defined.  Each PDF has a digital ID for a specific property and file #.  At the end of the form you need to hit the validate button and then save the form.  Clicking the button in nitro appears to do nothing.  Is this something on my end that I'm not doing correctly or does the form simply not support this?

51c5cd6c84a3152731284a30032ed3bf.png

• Official Nitronaut

Hello @Andrew Brown

Thanks for reaching out to us!

Can you please provide us with the file so we can test this?

Looking forward to your response.

• Official Nitronaut

Hello Andrew,

We reviewed this file and found that it was created using Acrobat PDFMaker for Word. Please note that these type of documents utilizes forms architecture that is not compliant with the PDF 2.0 specification set by the ISO (International Organization for Standardization). Our Product & Engineering team is actively investigating options to improve Nitro's ability to handle non-standard PDF document-types, but this is a significant product roadmap initiative, and unfortunately, there isn't a short-term solution. 

We suggest the following workarounds for problem these files. 

1. Viewing and Filling in the form: 
If you intend to simply view or fill in the form fields in this specific file, as this is a proprietary Adobe format, we suggest using Adobe reader. 

2. Printing the form to hard copy: 
If you have filled in a form, but the printout doesn't contain the information entered, you will need to 'flatten' the data. Please note that this option might not be available for all files, in which case you might need to use another PDF editor to perform the flattening. You can find out more about that, here: http://kb.gonitro.com/knowledgebase#/search/flatten/000002033

3. Editing the form: 
If you would like to edit the content and update your forms to a universal format which can be read by other PDF applications: 

a. Open the document in Adobe Reader 
b. Go to the file menu, and click Print 
c. Choose the Nitro Pro Printer, and click the Print button 
d. When prompted to Save, save the new document to the desired location 
e. Open the new document in Nitro Pro and recreate the form fields as required. 

Please note that the results may vary with this workaround. Apologies for any inconvenience caused you.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.