Convert MS Word Form to PDF Form

DeSoto-HR71

DeSoto-HR71

I create forms in MS Word and insert fillable fields, check boxes and radio buttons. When I convert the forms to PDF, the form fields do not carry over in Nitro Pro.  I have tried the "Create PDF" function in the Nitro Pro tab of MS Word, in MS Word I tried File / Export / Create a PDF/XPS Document and I tried importing an MS Word file into Nitro PDF. They do exactly the same thing which is just convert the file to a PDF but do not recognize or import any of the form fields. Currently the only option is to recreate the form fields in Nitro Pro (much more tedious and time consuming vs. MS Word). Anyone have experience with this or have any suggestions? Thanks, -JD   

• Official Nitronaut

Hello @DeSoto-HR71

Unfortunately, Nitro Pro doesn't have an automatic Form Wizard that detects form fields and automatically creates them.

We are always looking to improve Nitro Pro, and we have an existing feature request for this. The development team is aware that this is something our customers are interested in. While we cannot guarantee each feature request submitted will granted, rest assured our development team is notified.

Nevertheless, you can always create fillable form fields manually within Nitro Pro. Here is an article that outlines how to create and edit form fields: http://kb.gonitro.com/knowledgebase#/search/form fields/000001624

Please let me know should you have other questions.

DeSoto-HR71

Thank you for your response Leslie. I was afraid that this was the case. The Acrobat seems to have had this as a standard feature for so long, I was just hoping it might have been developed in Nitro by now. OK, I'm stuck with Nitro so will have to keep manually creating extensive forms or maybe I'll just keep them in Word and upload to AdobeSign, I'm pretty sure that one will pull the form fields automatically. Hmmm, we'll see. Thanks again for your help. -JD 😃

• 2 weeks later...
Larry Clark

I have to echo the disappoint regarding Nitro Pro 12's inability to automatically create form fields.  I got used to that over the years leading up to Acrobat Pro XI, which was eventually abandoned by Adobe.  But I must keep Acrobat XI installed because there is no way that I'm going to manually drag and fiddle with 89 fields (the last single page form I created) Nitro Pro 12.  With Acrobat I can just click the button and it does most of the work.  It also automatically sets the Field ID -- that last form had a 7 x 8 grid, and with Acrobat the result is MS Access readable data fields.  I do need to format cells for some features, font size, and alignment, but that is relatively easy.  Manually creating forms just doesn't cut it in a business setting.

Also, I have had situations where a Nitro Pro-generated form was not accepted by some readers, so that is also a concern.

• 2 months later...

I guess I should have looked before I bought! This is one of the MAJOR tasks I used PDF Pro for...and thought Nitro Pro would be as good or better.  Disappointment.  If it matters to anyone above, Nitro Pro really should consider this as a development project for a SOON to be released update (ha!).

Oddly enough, I just downloaded a trial of Foxit 10 and the standard version appears to identify form fields the same way as Acrobat.  It actually fits them better into my test form (created in Word using tables) better than Acrobat 11.  Editing the fields (fonts, positioning, formats) pretty much works like Acrobat.

I still need to do some testing over the next 14 days, but when I can't even use the crude Nitro version at all -- because of incompatibility issues with users -- I really don't see much value in continuing to use Nitro.

• 2 years later...

It's late 2022 and I'm using Nitro v. 13.67.  I came over here from Foxit.

I can't believe that Nitro STILL does not have a "form wizard." Adobe has had one for years, as has Foxit!

There have been mentions--of course without a time commitment--of this by Nitro support since 2018. Isn't that enough time?????

Massively disappointed!